In 1927, Frank Hutmacher, a Russian-German immigrant, married Veronica Nuss and spent the next three years building a home made of stone slabs, clay, rocks, and what little wood there was available. The Hutmachers and their children continued to live in the earthen home until the late 1970s. In 1979, the property was added to the National Register of Historic Places because so few earthen homes of its kind survived so long, but time and the elements have continued to wear on the farm's buildings. In recent years, however, efforts have been made to restore the structure, using historical construction methods in hopes of keeping this rare surviving example of Ukrainian stone architecture intact.
No comments at this time.